Monday, June 8, 2009

Breaking the Habit, Tonight

The alternating pattern continues: today was a great night of alert awakeness, complete with running and a bike ride. Maybe tonight I can break the pattern. I have high hopes.

I've noticed something interesting. I get tired after about 5 hours, or when I'm expecting a nap, or when I'm bored. Whichever of those comes first. When I'm expecting a nap, I can feel what some call "sleep pressure," somewhat like the non-urgent need to go to the bathroom, which slowly intensifies. I think the presence of this "sleep pressure" before my naps indicates that my body is continuing to adjust to this new sleep schedule. This is day 12. That means I've gone 12 days without a full night's sleep. If polyphasic didn't work at least a little, I would not feel like I do now. I would venture to say it works a LOT, because I feel fabulous.

I biked 7.24 miles today, which is a bit more than yesterday. I enjoy biking. In the fall, I'm looking forward to biking to school again. That's 7.6 miles if I remember correctly, but it's very difficult because of the huge hills, and it takes a while because of traffic lights.

I recently read something or other that "debunks polyphasic sleep" and effectively says that all polyphasic sleepers who say they're fine are liars. Liars! That bothers me. For one thing, Steve Pavlina, probably the most famous polyphasic sleeper on the internet, seems like a very honorable man who would definitely not lie. He's all about personal development and self improvement. I am quite certain that he is not the kind of person who would construct such a web of lies simply for--for what? What could possibly be his motive for lying anyway?
Furthermore, I'm a polyphasic sleeper, and I'd say I'm fine. Would the guy who wrote that report call me a liar, too? If he does, he has another thing coming. lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment