Friday, June 12, 2009

Sleep Deprivation and Thermoregulation

Interesting abstract of a scientific journal article I found:

During the cold test,T re did not change but $$\overline T $$ sk and $$\dot M$$ were higher after SD (P<0.05). Increased $$\dot M$$ (+ 6%,P < 0.05) was related to earlier and higher shivering, with a possible increase in the sensitivity of the thermoregulatory system as shown by the shorter time to onset of continous shivering (d): 8.66 (SEM 1.33) min versus 28.20 (SEM 1.33) min (P < 0.001) and by a higher $$\overline T $$ sk observed at d: 27.60 (SEM 1.40)° C versus 21.40 (SEM 0.60)° C (P < 0.001). These results were associated with higher cold sensations and shivering following SD. They also suggested that SD modified thermoregulatory responses at a central level especially in a cold environment. (source: SpringerLink Journal Article)
 What all that gibberish means is that their test subjects felt colder after being deprived of sleep. It's a scientifically demonstrated effect.

What does this mean for me?

It means I was suffering from sleep deprivation previously, and that's why I was cold. I figured.
And now that I've recovered, I'm not cold anymore. I feel warm. I'm guessing that means I'm no longer sleep deprived. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I featured your blog on my site.

    http://polyphasic.dyndns.info

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks for your blog posts.

    I'm on everyman with a 3 hours core nap, for the last month. Starting on a 1.5 core nap today and needed stuff to read.

    I enjoyed reading about your transition.

    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete