Saturday, May 30, 2009

Generally Not a Zombie

I went on a pleasant evening walk with my brother around 23:00, and then took my 00:00 nap. I felt absolutely great in the beginning of first slice, but then I finished the book I was reading and everything went downhill. My eyes were really tired and they had that slight burning feeling from being open too much. My brain was ready to fall asleep. I decided to take my second nap at 3:00 instead of 4:00 because I was just that tired. After that nap, I felt less like I was about to fall asleep, but my eyes were still very tired of being open. Tried closing them, but it was too risky. Tried reading, didn't work. Finally I watched a movie, and that worked fairly well. Maybe that can be a regular thing: watching a movie late at night. Anyway, the movie lasted until about 5:30, at which time I decided it was light enough outside that I could go on a bike ride, which I did. I biked 5.6 miles and I feel great. No tiredness or fatigue while I biked, aside from a very normal amount of leg tiredness after going up long hills. I stretched after my bike ride, of course. Then I ate breakfast (apple jacks with soymilk) and sat down at my computer to write this. The rest of my naps today will probably be right on schedule: 8:00, 12:00, 16:00, 20:00.

Something doesn't seem fair about all of this. So far I seem to have it really easy. Aside from my wee-hours-of-the-morning war to stay awake, I generally feel alert and chipper, and very non-zombie-like. From the other blogs I've read by polyphasic sleepers, the transition is usually extremely difficult and tiring. But this is my third morning and, again excluding the couple of hours when my eyes burn in the early morning, I feel really great. As if I were made to be a polyphasic sleeper. Feels natural.

My favorite parts of my polyphasic days are when I'm exercising. I love walking with my brother, or walking the dog, or riding my bike. Anything active is just really enjoyable. Those are also the times when I feel completely untired, with no sign of the fatigue that should supposedly accompany missing three full nights of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment